Is it really September? Yikes! As of today, there is exactly 1 month to go until my fundraising closes and exactly 2 months to go until I am standing at the starting line on the Verrazano Bridge. That's a lot to handle!
Luckily, everything is going really well with my training. One of our teammates did an amazing job organizing what he calls an "inofficial" run this past Saturday so we didn't slack off during the holiday weekend and on Sunday I met up with a friend for a recovery run and iced coffee in Astoria. The Saturday run started off rocky but ended well. If you know me, you know that I have a pretty bad relationship with bridges and this run included 3 of them!
We started off heading over the TriBoro bridge from Astoria into Randall's Island. Of course, we stopped halfway over the bridge to take some selfies and I made the mistake of looking over the edge. All of a sudden, I felt like I was going to be sick and my heart started beating very fast. While my team continued to run over the bridge (an out and back), I turned around and walked back to solid ground in Astoria where I waited for them about 10 minutes.
By the time they returned, I felt a lot better and I was excited to show off my neighborhood to my teammates; we stopped in Astoria Park to use the water fountains and ran by the Sculpture Park on our way to the Roosevelt Island Bridge. I refused to stop on this bridge or look over the side. It's short, so this was relatively easy. We continued with a half loop of Roosevelt Island before boarding the tram to Manhattan. This is something I've wanted to do since moving here and loved it!
Finally, we headed back to Queens via the 59th Street Bridge where I again did not look over the side. This was a challenging 9 mile run but it was a beautiful day and so many people came out to run over their holiday weekend which made it really special. This week, things continue to ramp up:
- Monday, September 5: Tempo run in Astoria Park - 20 minute warm up, 10 minutes at race pace, 10 minute cool down. I also broke in some cool new sneakers.
- Tuesday, September 6: 30 minutes of cross-training plus a strength workout.
- Wednesday, September 7: Interval workout with TFK in Central Park.
- Thursday, September 8: 50 minute easy run in Astoria before work.
- Friday, September 9: Rest day!
- Saturday, September 10: 2.5 hours of easy running! This week, the group is headed to PA where we will run along the Delaware Water Gap and finish up with a big brunch hosted by some teammates based in PA, it'll be a long day, but I'm excited to meet some people in person who I have only "met" via Facebook so far.
- Sunday, September 11: 5 easy miles.